If better vision isn’t on your Christmas list this year, you might consider adding it. Improving your eyesight through LASIK, a state-of-the-art laser vision correction surgery, can give you clear, unassisted vision in 2019 and beyond. What better gift could there be?
LASIK is a refractive surgery in which the cornea is reshaped to address myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), and astigmatism. When performed, LASIK helps eliminate or reduce dependence on corrective lenses, which can simplify your life and potentially save you money down the road.
We’ll review a few considerations to make before LASIK to your wishlist. When you visit Broberg Eye Care for a consultation, we’ll be able to answer these matters in greater detail.
Who is a Candidate for LASIK?
Not all patients with refractive errors are candidates for LASIK. It’s important to do some homework ahead of time to determine if you would even be able to take advantage of the surgery.
A good candidate for LASIK surgery should:
- Have a consistent need for prescription glasses or contacts
- Have mild to moderate myopia, hyperopia, or astigmatism
- Be 18 years or older
- Have good ocular health, without bacterial infection, high intraocular pressure, or dryness
- Be able to heal properly from surgery and undergo anesthesia
- Not be pregnant or nursing, since hormonal shifts can change your eye shape
- Have small or average sized pupils, since patients with larger pupils are more likely to experience light sensitivity as a side effect of LASIK
- Have a thick enough cornea for the procedure, since your surgeon will need to modify this part of your eye to correct your vision (patients with thinner corneas might opt for PRK instead)
While there are other factors that may come into play, our eye care specialists will help assess your qualifications for the procedure and help you make the right decision.
How Financing Options Work
One way that many patients pay for LASIK is through medical financing. This is similar to a loan or a credit card in many ways. A trusted third-party lender will pay for the total cost of surgery, and it will be up to the patient to pay back that loan (with interest) on a monthly basis. This often helps patients maintain their monthly budget.
As always, our office staff will be happy to discuss payment options.
Click to Learn More About the Gift of LASIK
For more information about LASIK surgery, or to find out if you’re a good candidate for the surgery, contact our Austin laser vision correction center today. The entire team looks forward to meeting you in person.